Friday, April 3, 2020

Mister Rogers Still Surprises Me!

I picked up my iPad tonight to read for the first time in a while. I opened it up and the first book that opened was The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers. Most people may not know this but I am fascinated by this man. I watched him growing up every day and I still watch him at times today. Most recently, a couple of movies have come out that reminds me why I look up to this man. He makes me want to be a better person. He makes me want to look at my life and work on my relationships with people and my relationship with God. He challenges the way I think, the way I interact with people, and even the way that I respond to my anger that dwells up within me.

Tonight as I read, I found myself again drawn to him in a new way. The author was writing about how she and Fred exchanged letters that contained different ways that’s they could pray for one another, and it would eventually move to praying for their friends, I must admit, I am a little jealous that she got to have these interactions with him and I didn’t, but I won’t hold that against her. 😉 As she finishes this chapter that was about prayer, she writes: “And so with that Fred was handing down another toast stick: Prayer is not only a daily discipline that deepens our relationship with God; it also provides a way for us to be together in our aloneness.” 

In the midst of this isolation, I find this to be a very profound and comforting thought... definitely something to think on and maybe expand my thoughts on in the future but for now, I think I want to sit with it. See where it takes me. Where does it take you?

No comments:

Post a Comment